ETA CPP CERTIFICATION
- Establish a uniform, defined standard of practice and knowledge for ISOs, sales personnel and other payments industry professionals
- Quantify the expertise and potential performance of payments industry professionals
- Enhance the productivity and reputation of payments companies and the credibility of the industry
- Thwart inappropriate practices that may sully the reputation of the industry
- Provide an important service to the payments industry
PURPOSE OF THE ETA CPP
The ETA CPP program sets the standard for professional performance in the payments industry and is a symbol of excellence. It signifies that an individual has demonstrated the knowledge and skills required to perform competently in today’s complex electronic payments environment.
As a result of increasing governmental scrutiny and regulation, growing security and compliance requirements, and a host of emerging issues and trends, today’s payments professionals need to have a broad knowledge of the industry, the challenges and forces shaping its future. They must demonstrate mastery not only of sales, but of pricing and interchange; business process, operations and workflow; products and solutions; risk; and regulatory, compliance and security matters as well.
With the ETA CPP designation, ETA codifies the significant increase in knowledge required of payments professionals on the job.
WHO SHOULD BECOME CERTIFIED?
The primary market is the sales professional with 1-3+ years industry sales experience. Strong working knowledge of at least one other area (e.g. technology, operations, risk, compliance, security) is also preferred. Any W-2 or 1099 employee of a company that enables acceptance of electronic payments by merchants should seek the ETA CPP credential.
The secondary market encompasses other payments professionals such as those new to industry; functional specialists; and even seasoned professionals seeking to demonstrate their existing knowledge.
WHY SHOULD I BECOME CERTIFIED?
The ETA CPP will set you apart from other sales and payments professionals and provide you with a competitive edge when visiting clients and potential new customers. The personal rewards and benefits will be many:
- Recognition of your knowledge and competence by a third party
- Enhancement of your credibility and professional reputation
- Demonstration of a high level of commitment to the field of practice
- Demonstration of a certain level of knowledge and skill
- Validation of skills and knowledge
- Employer and industry support for continued professional development
- Potential career advancement and / or increased earnings opportunities
BENEFITS TO EMPLOYERS
The ETA CPP will not only set individual employees apart, but will provide your company with a competitive advantage by increasing the value of your team. The ETA CPP will:
- Increase the competence level of employees
- Reflect relevant expertise in an ever-changing market
- Improve customer satisfaction
- Provide professional development opportunities and ongoing enhancement of knowledge and skills for employees
- Demonstrate employers’ commitment to competence
- Demonstrate knowledge of industry regulation and government requirements
- Increase confidence in employee’s abilities
BENEFITS TO THE INDUSTRY
- Helps identify qualified service providers
- Increases confidence in service providers
- Provides disciplinary process to follow in the event of complaints
- Demonstrates the ability to self-regulate
ABOUT THE EXAM
REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATION
To be eligible to sit for the ETA CPP examination, candidates must demonstrate the following qualifications:
- 1 year of industry-related experience and a high school diploma, associate, or bachelor’s degree, OR
- 3 years of industry-related work experience
Industry-related experience is defined as full-time work experience in: 1) a payments-related company that sells, distributes and / or provides electronic payments-related products, services or solutions to merchants and businesses, or 2) a company that services or is a consultant to a business described above.
- Recommendation and signoff of a supervisor or individual in a management position at an industry-related company
- Signature on candidate attestation
ETA CPP candidates will then be required to sit for and pass a Certified Payments Professional written examination. Upon successful completion of the exam and the attainment of the ETA CPP credential, certificants will be required to meet renewal / recertification requirements every three years, to include continuing professional education from ETA / QSP’s or the successful completion of the test.
EXAM DATES AND FEES
Test Center Locations
The computer-based ETA CPP examination is administered by Castle Worldwide through a network of more than 375 testing centers in cities throughout the US. Test centers, which are subject to change, are listed here.
ETA CPP Testing Windows and Deadlines
The exam is offered during two 30-day testing windows. All forms and applicable fees must be submitted and / or postmarked by the specified deadlines. Forms submitted without appropriate fees will not be processed.
|Testing Windows||Application Deadline*||Cancellation / Re-Scheduling Request Deadline|
|December 1-31||November 1||No later than 5 business days prior to your testing appointment|
|June 1-30||May 1|
* Applications received after the final postmark deadline will automatically be deferred to the next available testing window.
Application and Examination Fees
- ETA Member: $350 total fee* (in USD)
- Non-Member: $450 total fee* (in USD)
HOW TO APPLY
Completed applications will be evaluated and candidate eligibility usually determined within seven (7) business days of receipt. However, you will not receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS) until 30 days prior to the opening of a testing window. Candidates will receive the NTS, which will provide instructions on setting up a testing appointment, via email. It is recommended that you schedule your testing appointment as soon after receiving your NTS as possible, to increase your chances of testing on your preferred testing date. You must submit your test scheduling request at least seven (7) days prior to your preferred test dates.
EXAMINATION STUDY GUIDE
The ETA CPP Examination Study Guide, developed and published by the ETA Education Committee, is designed to help you prepare for the ETA CPP certification exam. Complete with study strategies and test-taking tips, the study guide provides a more in-depth overview of the topics covered on the ETA CPP exam. A confirmation of eligibility e-mail will arrive after your application has been reviewed and you’ve been deemed eligible to sit for the examination. A link to the ETA CPP Examination Study Guide will be contained within the confirmation of eligibility e-mail. Or you may purchase the ETA CPP Examination Study Guide for $49.95. Contact email@example.com.
ETA CODE OF CONDUCT
Conduct of payments professionals has a direct effect on the reputation of the profession. Candidates for the ETA CPP as well as future ETA CPPs who maintain their certification must abide by the ETA’s Code of Conduct.
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAINTAINING YOUR CREDENTIAL
The ETA CPP Maintaining Your Credential handbook is available for download here.
ETA CPP certification is valid for three (3) years. A ETA CPP must earn and report a total of 36 continuing education (CE) credits within every three-year recertification cycle to maintain the ETA CPP credential. Educational programs do not necessarily need to be produced by ETA to qualify for CE credits.
It is the responsibility of each ETA CPP to maintain records documenting qualified credits earned. ETA reserves the right to audit that documentation. Any reported credits that cannot be verified during an audit process will be disqualified. A program agenda or a letter signed and dated by the program sponsor/provider is acceptable documentation. Records of documentation should be retained for two full years after completion of each three year recertification cycle.
APPROVED CE ACTIVITIES
- Attendance at industry-related workshops, seminars, courses, conference and live teleconferences/cyberconferences/webinars (these programs do not need to be sponsored/produced by ETA)
- Industry-related college or university courses
- Serving as a lecturer or speaker on industry-related workshops, seminars and college/university courses
- Publication of authored articles on industry-related topic areas (not restricted to ETA publications)
- Volunteering on ETA or other industry related organization committees
- Completion of an independent/self-study course (with a method of evaluation or certificate of completion) in an industry related-topic area
- Successful completion of another industry-related certification or licensure examination
ACTIVITIES NOT APPROVED FOR CE CREDIT
- Organizational products and/or sales-specific, marketing or business development presentations
- Fundamental, introductory or exam prep courses in industry-related topic areas
- Personal career development topics not specific to the electronic payments industry
- ETA CPP exam prep
ETA CPP REGISTRY
ETA maintains a registry of certificants for public access. Within the ETA CPP exam application, candidates can choose to be included on this public registry, which will allow employers, customers, and potential customers to verify your certified status.